Sometimes motives are not evaluated as necessarily important in some purposes, as so many feel the ends justify the means. However, don't be deceived when it comes to the Lord. When you are called to do something under heaven's direction, God searches the mind and the heart, weighing your motives.
When David desired to build a temple, the Lord cautioned him. Telling him it wasn't for him to do because of the blood on his hands. Instead, Solomon would be appointed to do so, building the House of the Lord. With that in mind, David called upon the elders and leaders of the nation to gather. Then he began to declare the will of God for his people, and instructed them to remember the commands of the Lord, and gave promises of God's grace if they kept his Word.
1 Chronicles 28: 1-10 CEB
David assembled all of Israel’s leaders in Jerusalem, the leaders of the tribes, the leaders of the divisions that served the king, the commanders of units of a thousand and a hundred, the officials in charge of all the property and livestock of the king and his sons, as well as the officers, warriors, and all the valiant men. 2 Then King David stood up and said:
Listen to me, my relatives and my people. I wanted to build a temple as the permanent home for the chest containing the Lord’s covenant, our God’s footrest. But when I prepared to build it, 3 God said to me, You must not build a temple for my name because you are a military man, and you’ve shed blood. 4 The LORD, the God of Israel, chose me from my whole household to become king over Israel forever. He chose Judah as leader, and within Judah’s family, my household, and among my father’s family he was pleased with me, making me king over all Israel. 5 And from all the many sons the LORD has given me, he has chosen my son Solomon to sit on the throne of the LORD’s kingdom over Israel. 6 He said to me: Your son Solomon will build my temple and my courtyards, for I’ve chosen him to become my son even as I myself will become his father. 7 I’ll establish his kingdom forever if he remains committed to keeping my commands and case laws as he does now.
8 So now, in the presence of all the LORD’s assembly and with God as our witness, carefully observe all the commands of the LORD your God, so that you may hold on to this good land and pass it on to your children forever. 9 As for you, Solomon, my son, acknowledge your father’s God and serve him with enthusiastic devotion, because the LORD searches every mind and understands the motive behind every thought. If you seek him, he we will be found by you; but if you abandon him, he will reject you forever. 10 Now then, since the LORD has chosen you to build a temple for him as the sanctuary, work hard.
There are so many areas of thought we could pursue here. However, I want to focus on verses 8-10. Recognizing David's personal admonition to Solomon. Here is where we as pastors, fathers, mothers, leaders, and mentors need to center upon. For it will help us in passing on this legacy of Faith the Lord wants us to share.
1. Observe all the commands of the Lord. Warning! Don't pick and choose what best fits your preference, your denomination, or nature. Remember His complete covenant and recognize God's motive behind it.
2. Serve leadership within the church with enthusiastic support, it will accomplish amazing things for the church. Warning! Don't serve half-heartedly or timidly. If the leadership you are following has lifestyles that have revealed a shepherd's heart you will see astonishing things in your midst.
3. The Lord searches every mind and motive within the heart of man (or woman). What motivates you or drives you in your life? Warning! If your heart is filled with pride, arrogance, selfishness or just plain lack of transparency. You will have a reckoning with God sooner or later down the line.
4. If you seek Him, He can be found, and He will find you. God loves those who cherish and chase after the heart of God. Warning! Don't abandon or give up on the Lord. Why? For He is never far off, He will pursue you, and the opposite side of His grace is a life missing out on His love, protection, mercy, and power.
5. Let Him build a temple for Him within your life. That way His covenant can abide in you, His Word can come from you and His blessings will overtake you. Warning! Let go! Let Him come in to remodel and establish His
presence in your life today.
If you follow these instructions in these passages, and allow for these steps in your life. You will establish a legacy of Faith within you where Christ is King and His Kingdom has no end in sight. However, if your motives are impure, or your ambitions are not right before the Lord. They will be revealed, and His Kingdom life in you will be short-circuited from within. Leaving you with broken dreams and lost opportunities.
What are you motivated by in your life? Where is your heart today? What drives you? Won't you allow the Holy Spirit to give you a Spiritual Checkup from the neck up? That way, you can pursue your calling in life, with God's grace and full blessing revealed each day.